Notes From the Author

I hope to use this blog as a diary of sorts, in order to document my quest of perfecting my skills. Areas that I am particularly fond of include: photography, gardening, cooking - baking -canning, painting - sketching and of course writing. Like so many others, the word 'perfection' haunts me. I strive to reach it daily not truly knowing what it is or how to achieve it. Yet, I won't settle for less. Here is my blog showing my struggles and my hopeful successes. I don't need to be perfect but I must try to ascertain it.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Welcome Gus


Gus
Spring is a time for new birth and so it is with joy that I announce the newest member of our family: Gus, the very handsome four year old German Shepard we rescued with the help of the awesome people at MOGS (Missouri German Shepard Rescue).  But it is Gus, who has rescued our hearts.

Two years ago we mourned the passing of our two beloved friends.  Loki was our faithful German Shepard and Isis was our sweet Rhodesian Ridgeback.  Our four-legged family members were a constant pillar in my turbulent life, helping me through life’s twists.  Loki was massive, strong and brave, always providing a comforting place for me to cry allowing my fists to grip his thick fur and bury my sorrows against his stoic neck; and Isis, with her gentle reassuring presence knew how to comfort using only the kindness that radiated from her eyes.  She'd rest lightly next to me, a faithful spirit.  They were true friends and completely tuned to my emotions.  Life is fluid and there were many good times too, celebrated with kisses and wagging tails, and victories were reveled with happy dances and lots of wiggles.
Loki and Isis
I raised them both of them from pups.  They were only three months apart in age and bonded so closely that I knew when we lost Loki at the age of eight to cancer – Isis stopped living.  We even tried to help Isis by adding Jaxson to our family but even the overly energetic Ridgback pup couldn’t fill the void Loki had left in her life.  She stopped eating and joined her Loki eight months later.

My world was in transition, mourning the passing of my friends, life continued about me.  Jaxson, the-ever-naughty, Ridgeback pup would let me stay too gloomy and soon I realized that he needed a friend but it had to be just the right friend.  I'd used all my energy raising Jaxson and now at two years old, I didn't want to do the puppy thing again.  I contacted several adoption groups but most were too busy to respond to my application.  At first, I was discouraged but then I found the people at MOGS.  From the start, they were helpful and organized and above all, they understood I had some specific requirements which not only did they understand but were able to match us to the perfect dog.
I still mourn Loki and Isis but my heart is full again thanks to Gus.  He and Jaxson have filled our home with the happy sounds of toenail clicks upon the hardwood floors and our backyard with play and happiness.
Now with everything in balance again, I feel renewed and have begun working on a new book – a story from my childhood.  Spring is hope and I hope to carry the memory of those who've gone before me with the beauty of my words.
Gus and Jaxson

1 comment:

  1. We at MOGS (Missouri German Shepherd Rescue) are crying tears of pure joy! Gus deserves the finest of homes and he clearly has it with you. Thank you for your beautiful thoughts and a touching story of love, loss, and love renewed. Big bear hugs to Gus and Jaxson from all of us at MOGS! ---- from Nancy Campbell, MOGS President & Founder

    ReplyDelete