Notes From the Author

I hope to use this blog as a diary of sorts, in order to document my quest of perfecting my skills. Areas that I am particularly fond of include: photography, gardening, cooking - baking -canning, painting - sketching and of course writing. Like so many others, the word 'perfection' haunts me. I strive to reach it daily not truly knowing what it is or how to achieve it. Yet, I won't settle for less. Here is my blog showing my struggles and my hopeful successes. I don't need to be perfect but I must try to ascertain it.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Two Pages a DAY


I am blessed to have several lovely gardens grace my five acre home, however, I've been so busy as of late that much of my beloved gardens have been maintaining themselves. No where is this more evident than the rows of sugar and snow peas that have gone unpicked and hang past their prime from the garden fence. Where did spring go?

Likewise, my writing has fallen upon neglect. Today I vow to write my two pages a day as was recommended by Mark Sarvas in his class: Getting Started; Writing the First Novel. I know that like my peas, even if the two pages seem like they don't fulfil their intended place in my second novel - seeds can always germinate from those unwanted pages. So often I have found that random scene written for fun can later be developed and placed in the most unimaginable spots of my stories. Never never never erase anything you write.

And as for my peas, I will let them sit on the vine until they dry, pick them, shell them and store them in the garage overwinter and they will grow into fine peas again next year.

1 comment:

  1. Good advice! And you've made me feel a little better about my own garden this year.

    ReplyDelete