Notes From the Author

I hope to use this blog as a diary of sorts, in order to document my quest of perfecting my skills. Areas that I am particularly fond of include: photography, gardening, cooking - baking -canning, painting - sketching and of course writing. Like so many others, the word 'perfection' haunts me. I strive to reach it daily not truly knowing what it is or how to achieve it. Yet, I won't settle for less. Here is my blog showing my struggles and my hopeful successes. I don't need to be perfect but I must try to ascertain it.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Culture Collision - Fajita Fried Rice

Noticing a handful of leftovers in my fridge, I decided to cross food cultures, and in a stroke of culinary inspiration, I created what I'm now calling Fajita Fried Rice.

I started by cooking one cup of Jasmine Rice in a pot. Then in a skillet I heated olive oil and saute about a 1/4 cup of onion.

I took one grilled rib-eye stake and two grilled pork chops which were left overs and sliced them into thin strips and saute in the hot oil. I added coconut milk (only because I didn't have any broth or white wine) to help rehydrate the meat. I seasoned with taco seasoning and garlic.

I placed the meat mixture in a bowl and set aside. Wiped out the skillet and added more oil and onion before adding rice, soy sauce and two eggs (just a basic fried rice).

Then to the fried rice I added about 1 1/2 cup of grilled corn cut from the cob (also left overs) and fresh sliced roma tomatoes. Combine with meat and warm and serve.

I think this is one dish we will be making again - my whole family sure enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. That looks good. You have such a talent for cooking. If you ever need a taste-tester, you know where to find me, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think peppers - green, red and or yellow would have been nice but my family out voted me

    ReplyDelete