Notes From the Author

I hope to use this blog as a diary of sorts, in order to document my quest of perfecting my skills. Areas that I am particularly fond of include: photography, gardening, cooking - baking -canning, painting - sketching and of course writing. Like so many others, the word 'perfection' haunts me. I strive to reach it daily not truly knowing what it is or how to achieve it. Yet, I won't settle for less. Here is my blog showing my struggles and my hopeful successes. I don't need to be perfect but I must try to ascertain it.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Discomfort

What makes you uncomfortable?  I recently posted on the writersvibe blog about how children make me uncomfortable.  I don't know why, perhaps I fear they are miniature truth seekers and will reveal something I want to keep secret.  Which is silly - it's not like I'm full of dark secrets or really any secrets.  So I started thinking and decided that I'm not really afraid of children - I do occasionally avoid them but I understand the purity of their hearts and the magical wonderment behind their bright eyes.  When I was a child I had many friends and we all ran amok in our happy world.  In fact, as a child, I feared grown-ups especially men.  And there it was: men make me nervous - even more than children do.  When I compare my memories of the sweaty, air voiding panic I felt as a child toward men - I became aware of my phobia.

As an adult, I've luckily grown from my phobia but I can still remember how I felt.  An unnatural fear - I was born with but my distrust saved my life at least twice.  Perhaps as you read samples of my work you'll notice my fear tucked neatly away into a scene.

This week try writing a scene where something you fear comes to light.  How do you feel when you are under the influence of the fear - do you overcome - escape?  Maybe spend some physical time with something that makes you uncomfortable.  Listen to your body and analyse your fear.  For me, I plan on hanging out with a group of children and getting beyond my slight discomfort because the child within me yearns to play with others and I won't let this discomfort become a fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment